Beyond the Veil

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Beyond the Veil

This is a forum for players of Beyond the Veil LARP in NE Pennsylvania.

Next Event: Aug 22-24 @ Olivet Blue Mountain Camp, Hamgurg PA

3 posters

Where is the base lore?

Lythalion

Where is the base lore? Empty Where is the base lore?

Post by Lythalion Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:15 am

Just curious as to if I am not finding it. I am trying to construct a back story for my character before the Sept event, something very important to me. I see tidbits here and there in the races and classes, but I cannot find the blanket "world lore" anywhere. If someone could direct me to that, or give me a run down on it that would be appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

-Mike
    Veil Staff 1

Where is the base lore? Empty World Lore questions

Post by Veil Staff 1 Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:43 pm

Hi Mike,

Players crossing through the Veil will be in a new world where the world lore will be discovered by the players. You have the freedom to get very creative with your back story without being hindered by a world lore. The only real restrictions are the Humans have no contact with the other races until crossing through the Veil.

Hope this helps!

Veil Staff
    Lythalion

Where is the base lore? Empty Re: Where is the base lore?

Post by Lythalion Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:05 am

Ok, so every single person at the game just crossed the veil from another older world.

Got it.

Some more questions if you don't mind.

For purposes of back story writing. Are we literally taking our first steps into this world at the call of the game? Or have we been here a few days/weeks/months?

The human lore states they all came from the same world, and that no other races were on that world.

Did the other worlds have humans on them that didn't make it through the veil? Or if you are playing a non human and encounter a human is this the first human you have ever seen?

Im assuming every other world had every other race since races are cross referenced in race lores (IE Hobgoblins opinions on plague elf economy). If that is not necessarily the case please let me know.

If you were coming in with a group of friends, and 4 of them are playing non humans but one of them wants to play a human, is it possible to say that human is from another world other then the "Main" human world? Or is that literally the only place humans come from?

In human lore it states they had an expectation of where the portal was going to take them but they ended up here. What was their expectation? And if they had an expectation of the portal why was it called a mysterious portal?

For things like Runeblade colleges, or really just the fact the races are from different worlds but are coincidentally all the same...is that what that is? Coincidence? So if I play a runeblade, and someone else plays a runeblade and we run into each other it would be acceptable role play to think it was super strange our runes, our teachings, our everything even the names of runes are exactly the same even though we came from entirely different worlds?

The Web of Fate, is that on every world?

In circumstances like the demonologist lore, it talks about when the demons appeared, stating centuries ago...Is that time line exactly the same on every different world people are coming from? (Again that is a moot point if everyone came from the same world.)

In the bloodknight lore it references the "Bloody Kingdom" is there a "Bloody Kindgom" on every single world that is exactly the same?

Blood Knight lore states
    "The Bloody Kingdom, as it is known, is a vile kingdom whose blood-lust engulfs all who are born into this race."

What race?

Runeblade lore states a sword master found the runes a long time ago, despite being from multiple worlds every rune blade has heard that same story in their training?

In the runeblade lore it references "the ancients". Is that just reference ancient civilizations or is it something like Titans?

Same with elf lore that mentions Fae, the way it is mentioned kind of sounds like everyone knows what the Fae are. "Since the Fey haven't corrected them, everyone else believes this to." Just wondering what we know about fey since they are a big enough part of peoples lives that they go around correcting people.

In the human lore it says they are refugees in this realm. If we all JUST came from another world through the veil, wouldn't everyone be a refugee?

Reading the human lore makes it sound like the other races have been here longer, or that some of them are from this world that the game takes place in.
    I just want to be certain on what the case is.

As far as basic things go, for simplicity sake are we saying a chicken is a chicken no matter where you go? A tree is called a tree, basil is basil, up is up, and down is down? If someone wanted to be from a super unique world im sure that is up to them and plot, but as far as "basics" go is that how it is being played?

When it comes to the details of the world you want to be from. That is an awful lot of potential lore you would have to write up for your backstory.
    Exactly how much of the detail of your old world do you need to get approved? Potentially it could be like a 200 page back story. I am just wondering what exactly plot wants to see in regard to this.
    IE- I noticed this world does not have gods, or so far none that we know of.
    When I am speaking of my old world is it ok to RP that there were gods, and I find it strange this world has none?

Who do we submit character back stories to?
    Lythalion

Post by Lythalion Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:45 am

One more.

If all humans do indeed come from the same world, do starting humans get a lore packet explaining that world to them so they all have consistent stories?
    Veil Staff 1

Post by Veil Staff 1 Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:14 pm

Yes. Every single Player at the game just crossed the veil from another world.

Yes, you are literally taking our first steps into this world at the call of the game.

As a non-human, these are the first humans you will be encountering.

Yes, every other world has every race except Human. Their world has no other races on it and is literally the only world they come form.

You as a player would not be the first group through the portal and as such expected to see the others groups, and so the mystery begins.

It would be acceptable role playing to think it was super strange your runes, teachings, and what not are exactly the same even though you came from entirely different worlds?

The Web of Fate is not on any world specifically but all races acknowledge it's existence.

Legends tell of the first appearances of the Demons centuries ago. That time line is fairly universal. Perhaps some scholars may argue over the specifics but the ball park is about right.

The "Bloody Kingdom" is only on the game world. Until a Blood Knight's arrival on this world, they were drawn to a mysterious higher purpose they, until now they could not fill. What their race is will need to be uncovered in game.

Runeblade lore is universal.  The names may change on individual worlds but the history unfolded the same. Ancients refers to ancient civilizations as no one is sure where the runes came from specifically.

The Fae  are inter-planer beings that in inhabit the same space in the worlds but on a different plane. They can willingly hop between these planes. They are very powerful and cryptic. They only meddle in affairs that they deem important enough to be bothered. Think of them as a sort of Q Continuum, that is far nicer to deal with.

While everyone is technically a refuge, a dwarf is is dwarf. Humans have no kingdom here & no where to go. Until that changes, they're basically squatters.

Again all of the races except for humans exist in the game world.

Yes, as far as basic things go, for a chicken is a chicken no matter where you go?

When it comes to back story, PCs may write as much or as little as they want. We will attempt to fit as much of players backgrounds into our universe as best we can.

But none of the worlds in the Beyond the Veil universe worship gods. Our world is created in magic and by tangible beings who, though very powerful, did not seek to be worshiped.  There is no mystery and the higher beings can walk among us.

Character histories can be submitted via email to
    characterplot.beyondtheveil at gmail.com
    Lythalion

Post by Lythalion Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:15 pm

Thank you so much for the answers.

As far as writing up your old world goes, what I meant was this. Do I have to write up and get approved every single little detail before I can talk about it? Or is it ok to sort of Wing it when you are RPing if you need something to draw off of for the moment.

Such as
    "In our old world, there was a place called the <insert name here> and it was a <insert description here> and <insert evil being here> were known to roam them, and we never went there when the sun was down."

If we give staff a good page or so on the over arcing important stuff about the world, is it ok to riff when needed?

If a new player or character were to enter the game 3 months from now, is it their first steps? Or could someone have come through with you, but just not popped there head into the live game until then?
    IE I have a hypothetical friend who cant make it to the first two events, does he have the choice to say he has been here, maybe sick or injured recovering, or when a new person comes there first in game moments have to be their first steps into the world. Or is that just for the first people at the first lay on of the first event?

Thank you for all your other answers, they cleared up everything perfectly. Now I completely get the lore and the time line it transpired in.
    Lythalion

Post by Lythalion Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:41 pm

Oh wait, I did have one more question.

If you play a human, do you get some sort of lore packet to ensure everyone playing a human is RPing consistently? Is it possible to get access to that lore before the game starts so you can properly write your backstory?
    Lythalion

Post by Lythalion Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:46 am

One more lol.

This might be FOIG, but if Guardians have existed for a really long time it might be common knowledge.

If you break the code of the guardians, do you lose your powers/skills?
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:00 am

Yes Humans will be on the same page.

Something Will happen to Guardians. But We'll have to see exactly "What" in game.

The Timing of the Veil is funny. People pop out at strange times, so that's ok.

Not every little detail needs approval. Just some of the largest stuff, like Global Issues. For example: Only the Human write-up mentions Dragons. They are unknown to the other races. But stuff like the city, who you were & things that happened on the smaller scale will not me micro managed.
    Lythalion

Post by Lythalion Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:10 pm

So no dragons in your world lore? Well crap I will have to resubmit mine. Not a huge deal, it was only in the creation part, I can change it to like Titans or something.
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:30 pm

Don't focus on your world's lore. We have that already. Just focus on your character's history. The home world Lore will be revealed in game.
    Lythalion

Post by Lythalion Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:34 pm

Wait, I am confused now.

I thought we were free to write up the lore of the world we came from since each one was different.

But now you are saying you have that lore and to not focus on it.

Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:15 pm

OK Mike, this is Chuck, I checked over the threads and my in box & I'm not sure where the disconnect was but here's the end result.

You can write your character history & back story anyway you want to. But World Lore, creation, ground level stuff, has all been done already. We (staff) have left the details of character backgrounds as open as possible. That's why we aren't giving you and hard and fast names, places, dates, etc. We want to foster creativity and use the best PC Stories and histories wherever we can.

But for continuity purposes, we need only the player background stuff. The world creation and Global world histories, we have covered.

I not sure how this got confused but this is should clear it up. PM me if there's still confusion.
    Lythalion

Post by Lythalion Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:54 pm

Sent you a FB message, I figured that is what you meant by PM.
    Lythalion

Post by Lythalion Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:54 pm

Since my entire crew coming are non humans I was thinking about dwarves and elves from other lore as well as creatures like ents who all can live for a long time depending on the setting.

Just wanted to make sure that if any creatures age outside the human type aging we know. My intention is to play my own age, but if elves live to be 2000 or something obviously id play it a lot different.

Thanks

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 5:54 am